LEVEL 1 DIPLOMA IN WORK BASED RACEHORSE CARE
The National Horseracing College is based in South Yorkshire and is a friendly, welcoming and hands-on environment. For those people seeking their first taste of racing, our foundation course will ensure they have the necessary skills to gain employment in the racing industry, and for existing racing staff emphasis is placed on ensuring they receive the advice and develop the practical knowledge and experience to gain promotion within their chosen field.
WHO THE COURSE
- Anyone age 16+.
- No previous equine experience or academic qualifications are required to enrol.
- Applicants who wish to ride must not weigh more than 11 stone ready to ride (i.e. wearing skullcap, body protector and boots).
- 18 week, residential foundation course
- 12 weeks at the NHC and 6 weeks work experience placement.
- Successful completion leads to permanent full-time employment (Level 2 Apprenticeship)
- Courses start every 6 weeks
- Riding and non-riding option
- Designed to ensure learners are competent both on the ground working with horses and also whilst riding a thoroughbred horse at exercise.
- Learners will receive lectures and demonstrations and will work to a routine similar to a racing stable whilst at the NHC.
- The aim of this course is to prepare learners for work in a racing stable.
- There are over 85,000 people employed in the British horseracing industry
- There are 59 racecourses in the UK
- Horseracing is the second highest attended sport in the UK, behind football
- There are over 550 training yards plus thousands of breeding operations in the UK
- There are over 14,000 horses in training in the UK
CAREERS IN THE HORSERACING INDUSTRY
The horseracing industry is a vast community with over 85,000 people employed within the UK. Careers paths within the industry include Racing Staff, Jockey’s, Racecourse officials, Stud Staff, Travelling Head Person, Jockey Coach, and working in media and communications.
“Since I’ve been at the college I have ridden horses in the school and progressed into the gallops, my confidence in every way has improved massively. It’s crazy to look back and see where we are started from and where we are now three months later. The Staff have pushed us and supported us along the way and we wouldn’t be going to do what we are [work placement with a racehorse trainer] without them do thank you. I wouldn’t have got through the course without the support of the other learners, I’ve made friends for life! Big thanks to everyone I’ve had the best three months.”NHC Graduation 2020, Shae