LEVEL 1 DIPLOMA IN WORK BASED RACEHORSE CARE
Do you know someone who would suit a hands-on, practical environment?
For those people seeking their first taste of racing, our foundation course will ensure they have the necessary skills to gain employment in the racing industry, and for existing racing staff emphasis is placed on ensuring they receive the advice and develop the practical knowledge and experience to gain promotion within their chosen field.
WHO THE COURSE
- Anyone age 16+.
- No previous equine experience or academic qualifications are required to enrol.
- Applicants who wish to ride must not weigh more than 11 stone ready to ride (i.e. wearing skullcap, body protector and boots).
- 18 week, residential foundation course
- 12 weeks at the NHC and 6 weeks work experience placement.
- Successful completion leads to permanent full-time employment (Level 2 Apprenticeship)
- Courses start every 6 weeks
- Riding and non-riding option
- Designed to ensure learners are competent both on the ground working with horses and also whilst riding a thoroughbred horse at exercise.
- Learners will receive lectures and demonstrations and will work to a routine similar to a racing stable whilst at the NHC.
- The aim of this course is to prepare learners for work in a racing stable.
- There are over 85,000 people employed in the British horseracing industry
- There are 59 racecourses in the UK
- Horseracing is the second highest attended sport in the UK, behind football
- There are over 550 training yards plus thousands of breeding operations in the UK
- There are over 14,000 horses in training in the UK
Would you benefit from a one-to-one video call?
“Since I’ve been at the college I have ridden horses in the school and progressed into the gallops, my confidence in every way has improved massively. It’s crazy to look back and see where we are started from and where we are now three months later. The Staff have pushed us and supported us along the way and we wouldn’t be going to do what we are [work placement with a racehorse trainer] without them do thank you. I wouldn’t have got through the course without the support of the other learners, I’ve made friends for life! Big thanks to everyone I’ve had the best three months.”NHC Graduation 2020, Shae
USEFUL WEBSITES AND LINKS
is a FREE eLearning platform, dedicated to anyone involved in the racing industry or those interested in gaining a wider understanding of the industry. Enjoy hours of online courses to expand your knowledge of the horseracing industry.
shares useful information to attract new talent into the British horseracing industry. They also offer valuable information for those currently working as a Racing Groom.
support the workforce of British horseracing. They offer professional guidance and practical help to the stud, stable and racecourse staff whose dedication is vital for the well-being of racing. Their work aims to help people, from recruitment to retirement, to thrive in a day to day life and through a range of life’s challenges.
is the trade union for Racing Staff. They offer training and development and promote equality in the workplace.
Would you enjoy to work in the equine industry but not with racehorses?
DONCASTER EQUINE COLLEGE is located within the grounds of the National Horseracing College and offers Horse Care and Horse Management Courses. Their courses are suitable for those with no academic qualifications or experience with horses through to experienced rider. For more information visit https://www.doncasterequinecollege.co.uk/
For more information about a career in the horseracing industry or the equestrian industry, contact our team:
Sarah Beattie S.Beattie@theNHC.co.uk – Marketing Coordinator
Amelia Williams A.Williams@theNHC.co.uk – Marketing and Digital Marketing
Zoe Horne Z.Horne@theNHC.co.uk – Marketing and Digital Marketing
Haydn Cahill H.Cahill@theNHC.co.uk – Engagement Assistant
General info@theNHC.co.uk 01302 861000